12 November 2015

Affirmations

Originally Posted On October 21, 2015 

I am not sure if this happens with other writers, but it is happening with me more and more. It is a strange thing that I will share with you in a moment.

First, I want to say that I am about half finished writing the first draft of my second novel, Vocation.  I hope to have the first draft finished by December. I have been plotting some things out, and the story is almost worked through. Now it is just a matter of choosing the right words in the right order to tell the story in the best way I can.

Then I will begin the re-writing, which is my favorite part. That is when I get to play with sentence structure and phrasing. I can stay at my computer for hours re-writing scenes because I love doing it. That is when I feel like a real writer.

Vocation has a lot of themes running through it. I won’t share them now because I don’t want to ruin the story for those who may want to read it. But a strange thing has been happening. I don’t know how to describe it other than it is an affirmation that I am on target and that my story is working.

So what are these affirmations? Well, sometimes it is something someone says to me. Other times a person or place comes into my life.  Once it was in a priest’s homily. But whatever it is, it is uncanny because it is something I have already written in my book. I cannot even tell you how many times this has happened to me since I began writing my novel. And I can’t explain it other than it is an affirmation that I am on the right track.

The reason I decided to write about this here in my blog today is because it happened again today. One of these affirmations happened while I was having a discussion with a co-worker. He said something to me that my characters discuss in my novel. I am talking about a deep, profound, spiritual concept. I can’t tell you what my co-worker said. It would be giving away part of my story, but the really interesting part of it all is that my co-worker has no clue that he hit upon a deep, profound, spiritual concept that is a running theme in my novel.

To add to this strange occurrence today, my co-worker’s name is Mark. One of my characters is named Mark. And I wrote about Mark long before I met Mark. You see, Mark Beaumont is in A Future Spring. I wrote about him two years ago. His story continues in Vocation.

How does that happen? I have my own idea, but I will leave that up to you to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment