09 February 2016

What is Success?

What does it mean to be a success at something? Lately, I’ve been reading a lot about what makes a successful author. Of course, success is in the eye of the beholder.  And when you get right down to it, you have to define your own success.

Last night I added the finishing chapters to my second novel. They are not the last chapters of the book. They are fill-in chapters that tie together parts of the story.  

I am just about to reach the finish line, and last night unexpectedly, I became emotional. I started crying after I wrote a particular scene. It wasn’t the scene itself. That wasn’t the reason for my tears. No, my tears came because soon I will send my characters and their story out into the world, and that is an emotional thing.

Do I consider myself a successful author?

I do.   

Why?

Have I sold a million copies? No. Do I have 1000 likes on my Facebook page? No. Do I get all five-star reviews on Amazon and Goodreads? No. But I consider myself a successful author because my first book was a fluke. It almost wrote itself. Writing a second book means I can do it again, and to me, that is success. 
  
May, 2016 is my goal for the release of my second book, Vocation. It has become a reality. Here is the cover design . . .  


2 comments: