02 August 2016

A Tale of Three Novels

Yesterday I received feedback from my proofreader. She is the first person to read Vocation in its final form. She said she loves it! I don’t know how to describe how that makes me feel.

These last few weeks, I have had the feeling that the manuscript was just awful. There are a few reasons for that. I have lost all objectivity. After two years and five revisions, I just can’t see the story for what it is any more. I remember the struggles I had while writing it, so it will take a long time until I can read it as a reader instead of the author. This book, more than any other, will have emotional baggage attached to it, but it will also carry with it a special meaning too; it gave me courage to overcome my fears.

My proofreader will be finished with Vocation in a week or two. After that, I will revise it one last time and send it off to be formatted for softcover and Kindle. I hope to publish in September.

I am now 40,000 words into book three. I am amazed by that. I have a lot more of the story to tell, and I am guessing I am about half finished. That makes for a long book! I still haven’t hit a wall, and I keep expecting it, but maybe I won’t really hit a wall. I never did with A Future Spring.

So which book is my favorite? Well, I imagine being an author is like being a parent. All my books are my favorite—just like all your children are your favorite. Each one is different with a different personality.

I love A Future Spring because it was a fulfillment of a life-long dream. I wrote it in secret, which makes it special. I wrote it not knowing if anyone else would ever read it. I don’t really believe in “art for art’s sake.” I believe art is meant to be shared. I believe it unites people in a unique way. AFS was a dream shared.   

I love Vocation because it gave me courage, and it proved that my first novel was not a fluke. I have emotional ties with the main character that I don’t share with any other character. Vocation represents a long, hard struggle. I came through to the other side even stronger. 

I love book three (I really need a title) already because I think it is the first novel to really showcase my unique writing voice. I am writing it with true freedom. I no longer care what people think. It's all about telling the story not about how it will be received. My loyalties lie with my characters now. I especially love book three because it finally proves (to me) that I am an author.

No comments:

Post a Comment