19 August 2016

Formatting Vocation

One of the last steps in self-publishing a novel is to format the manuscript into a file compatible for print and ebook distribution. In the past, I have hired someone to do the formatting for me. For someone well-versed in computers, the process is pretty simple. My formatting expert can usually have my files back to me in a few days.

With Vocation, however, the timing is all off. It seems I am surrounded by teachers, and they are slaves to the academic calendar not the Gregorian. My proofreader is a teacher and needed to proof my manuscript during the summer months. That step worked out pretty well. I happened to have my manuscript finished in June. 

The problem is my formatting expert is also a teacher. We are now about to enter the most hectic time in any teacher's life, and I just don't have it in me to ask him to format my manuscript. It just wouldn't be right.

So I had to make a choice. I could either wait until things die down a bit, everyone eases into the new school year, and push my publishing date back another month or two (ugh!), or try to format the manuscript myself. After a lot of thought, I decided to try and format the manuscript myself.

Now, I consider myself to be of an average intelligence. Yet the thought of formatting puts fear in me. I'm not sure why. I publish through CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing, and they have clear, concise directions--step-by-step. I have downloaded the instructions, and I am ready to go (more or less). Yet I still have the notion in my head that I can't do it. Why? I have no clue.

Still, the more I think about it, the more I feel I need to do it. It will give me a sense of accomplishment, knowing I have gained a new skill. It will also bring me one more step closer to being a truly independent author. 

I'll keep you posted.  

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! Formatting is daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze! If you need any help at all, don't hesitate to ask me. I'd be very happy to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ginny. I'm getting there, slowly!

    ReplyDelete