03 August 2017

Book Cover Design

As I write this, the cover for Incorruptible is being designed. I have hired a professional designer for this book, and I would like to explain the process and why I decided to go with a professional this time.

First, with A Future Spring and Vocation, I had commissioned an artist to create the graphic for the cover. I told her what I wanted, and she created the artwork.  But the book covers were designed in Createspace using a template. When my books were published, I loved the covers, but now, to me, they look amateurish. And they are. You are very limited with design in Createspace, and I never achieved the quality design I wanted.

So, this time I decided to go with a professional because I have learned a lot and I understand my author platform better. It was time for a change.

My whole approach with book three is different. Here is how . . .

For my third book, I didn’t commission the graphic. I purchased a painting that fit the mood of my book. I saw the painting, and it hit me. I had to have it.

Then, I hired a photographer to take a high-resolution photo of the painting to create the graphic I will use for the cover.

I then sent the graphic to the cover artist with some ideas of what I might like the cover to look like. I’m really excited about it, and I can’t wait to see her drafts. It is so much fun to see a book cover come to life.

I will then have the same artist redo the covers for A Future Spring and Vocation. She will use the same graphics, but give the covers a more professional appeal. I would also like my books to have the same look—it’s part of the whole branding thing.

When everything is done, I will have the unveiling of all three covers.

I’ve learned a lot since writing and publishing my first book, but the most important thing I have learned is patience. Right now, I want to show the world the graphic we are using for Incorruptible, but I have to be patient. Trust me. It will be worth the wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment